Saturday, January 16, 2010

4 Months!

Well hello and Happy Four Months Day! It is officially my 4 month anniversary of living overseas here in Prague. When I say that out loud, however, it really doesn't sound as long as it feels... not that that's a bad thing. Just interesting. It really does feel like I've been here for a while, and that summer is just around the corner. I still have lots of time to explore and try new things though, that's for sure, and I'm ok with that.

People have been asking about me staying for another year, if I'm thinking about it, etc. That still really isn't a possibility in my mind, however. I don't have any regrets about coming here, whatsoever. The city is absolutely beautiful, and the ways in which God has provided for me and blessed me here are astounding. I still feel, however, that the time I've planned on spending here from the beginning is enough. I'm excited to continue my work here and finish strong, and then to come back home and see what God has in store for me next.

One thing you can be praying for, is for God to provide more teachers who are willing to come and work with the English program that I have been a part of here in Prague. (It would make my leaving at the end of the year as planned, much easier I think. :) It is an amazing program to work for and with, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great teaching opportunity.

This past week was a busy one, with lots of interactions with parents and events in the evenings. On Tuesday the father of one of my first grade students came to observe our class. He was concerned about the progress his son was making (or lack their of, in his opinion). We've always said that parents are more than welcome to come at any time - they are paying extra money for their child to attend and it is important to us that they have a good understanding of how our program works. To make a long story short, he sat in my class for a while, and then went to observe the other class as well. He came back in during the second half to speak with me and what he said was not what my assistant and I were expecting, to say the least. He wanted to apologize, he said. Our program and our classes were absolutely perfect in his opinion. He said he could tell the students loved us and responded to us extremely well. They were speaking English and understanding what was going on, even without my assistant translating very much. He was blown away by what he saw and his opinion was completely changed for the better. He said thank you so much for what you are doing here, and he absolutely loves it.

Anyway, that was a very intense but positive day to say the least. :) I also started a new tutoring job this week (2 hours on Mondays and 2 hours on Thursdays) and it is going very well, although the travel time to and from is a bit tiring. I think I have a faster way of getting there now, so that should help some. It is with an entire family, actually - a boy in the first grade and his younger sister, as well as their mom and dad. :) They are so sweet though, and they are very excited to work with me too. It's lots of fun! I'm excited to build this new relationship with them and see what God does with it!

Well, that is all for now. I'm headed to Starbucks down town to work on lesson plans with my friend Jessica. :) Have a wonderful rest of your days!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you're writing lots these days; I can hardly keep up :) I also thought about your 4 mo. anniversary on Sat. I'm glad you posted about the dad that came in...I'm praising God for that good day for you! And what fun snow pictures...I can't believe you didn't get a day off school :/ Karen B said that in Ireland, they are so not prepared for snow that the mayor closed schools for a week (and they got a few inches :) Makes Cinti. look not so bad!
    I'm finally getting around to making a collage and New Year's message to mail to friends. Now to write notes and get them out...
    Love & Hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete